From silk to silicon: the story of globalization through ten extraordinary lives
The story of globalization, the most powerful force in history, as told through the life and times of ten people who changed the world by their singular, spectacular accomplishments.
This is the first book to look at the history of globalization through the lens of individuals who did something transformative, as opposed to describing globalization through trends, policies, or particular industries. From Silk to Silicon tells the story of who these men and women were, what they did, how they did it and how their achievements continue to shape our world today. They include:
• Genghis Khan, who united east and west by conquest and by opening new trade routes built on groundbreaking transportation, communications, and management innovations.
• Mayer Amschel Rothschild, who arose from an oppressive Jewish ghetto to establish the most powerful bank the world has seen, and ushered in an era of global finance.
• Cyrus Field, who became the father of global communications by leading the effort to build the transatlantic telegraph, the forerunner to global radio, TV, and the worldwide Internet.
• Margaret Thatcher, whose controversial policies opened the gusher of substantially free markets that linked economies across borders.
• Andy Grove, a Hungarian refugee from the Nazis who built the company—Intel—that figured out how to manufacture complex computer chips on a mass, commercial scale and laid the foundation for Silicon Valley's computer revolution.
Through these stories Jeffrey E. Garten finds the common links between these figure and probes critical questions including: How much influence can any one person have in fundamentally changing the world? And how have past trends in globalization affected the present and how will they shape the future? From Silk to Silicon is an essential book to understanding the past—and the future—of the most powerful force of our times.
Civic leaders -- Biography
Clive, Robert Clive
Clive, Robert Clive, -- Baron, -- 1725-1774 -- Influence
Deng, Xiaoping, -- 1904-1997 -- Influence
Field, Cyrus W
Field, Cyrus W. -- (Cyrus West), -- 1819-1892 -- Influence
Genghis Khan, -- 1162-1227 -- Influence
Globalization -- History
Grove, Andrew S
Grove, Andrew S. -- Influence
Henry, -- Infante of Portugal, -- 1394-1460 -- Influence
Industrialists -- Biography
International business enterprises
International business enterprises -- History
International economic relations
International economic relations -- History
International trade -- History
Monnet, Jean, -- 1888-1979 -- Influence
Rockefeller, John D
Rockefeller, John D. -- (John Davison), -- 1839-1937 -- Influence
Rothschild, Meyer Amschel
Rothschild, Meyer Amschel, -- 1744-1812 -- Influence
Thatcher, Margaret -- Influence
|Grouped Work ID||04096897-8b12-c65d-8f11-98c8bbe334b9|
|Grouping Title||from silk to silicon the story of globalization through ten extraordinary lives|
|Grouping Author||jeffrey e garten|
|Grouping Language||English (eng)|
|Last Grouping Update||2023-10-02 02:08:35AM|
|Last Indexed||2023-10-02 02:30:11AM|